Sunday, January 18, 2015

Breaking Ground on a Prospective Project in the Digital Humanities

After reading Trevor Owens' blog on where to start on research questions in the digital humanities, I felt it might be useful to at least begin to articulate the sort of digital humanities project I am interested in engaging with in the near and/or distant future. Indeed, Owens' views on projects in the digital humanities are generally predicated on the notion that the process through which research questions are developed and concretized is, first and foremost, iterative. In saying as much, Owens seems to encourage those engaging in projects in the digital humanities to embrace a more pensive, reflective, and layered approach to actually defining what they are working on.

Owens elucidates upon this approach by harking to Joe Maxwell's ideas about the interactive components of research design. Maxwell's approach, as Owens indicates, involves five distinct moves/stages/elements:

1) goals, which clarifies the purpose for doing research;
2) conceptual framework, which refers to the specific literature(s), field(s), and experience(s) one is drawing on;
3) research questions, which clearly disseminates the statement(s) and question(s) one is working with in their project;
4) methods, which provides insight into the ways in which one will address and/or answer the aforementioned statement(s) and question(s); and
5) validity concerns, which address the limitations and biases that might inform one's approach to the project.


I propose to use these interactive components of Maxwell's approach to research design in order to draw on my own approach to my own project for ENGLISH 595, a course on "Critical Theories, Methods, and Practice in Digital Humanities" that I am taking at Washington State University during the Spring 2015 semester. As I am sure the diagram that follows will convey, I am still quite "green" in terms of my background in the digital humanities as well as the subject for my project. My hope is that this course will help me develop both the vocabulary and the acumen for taking on this difficult project in the near or distant future. I welcome any and all feedback on what I have included in the Prezi presentation below.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Mark,

    Thanks for the post. I was relieved to see that you didn't yet define a project. I did because I took the assignment too literally. My spouse calls me "Literal Lisa." Anyway, I look forward to hearing how the course materials shape the project you end up with. I am also looking forward to letting my proposed project change (if need be), depending on what in the course content piques my interests in other things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark!
    I really enjoyed going through your prezi. It sounds like we're attempting to address similar issues as they pertain to literacy. A fundamental different I see between our projects so far is really defining what types of literacies we are analyzing. Are you referring to overarching literacies culturally? Or are you focusing on the classroom (like I am). One's perceptions of "literacy" is very different when it depends on the lens we're trying to navigate. As you know, I'm all about sharing sources and I think Paul Selbers book "Multiliteracies..."(theres more to the title but I can't remember) would really be useful to you. It seems as though you're approaching this from an ethical perspective. Meaning, fundamentally everyone should have _______ digital literacies, and focusing on the Cuban population (perhaps making the argument that they do or do not at this point). Selber calls to us in asking what a literate person should be able to do in the 21st century. I think this call pushes outside of the classroom, and argues that it should be recognized that on some fundamental level, digital literacies are a proficiency that we must all possess. With all that's going on in Cuba right now, I think this is an exciting project to take on. I'm looking forward to this project unfold throughout the semester :)
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure whether I will have a classroom focus (probably not), because it is a bit unclear what the situation actually is in Cuba. Also, there are rather strict restrictions in place in terms of non-residents not being able to enter educational spaces throughout Cuba. They're actually guarded by the Cuban military and there's a stigma on the the part of educators who truly fear "rocking the boat" too much. Cuba, particularly as it relates to getting insight into their politics, is pretty cloak and dagger. That being said, I will be interested to see how (if at al) instructors are or are not using digital technologies in the classroom, and that will be something I will monitor as time goes on and more avenues open up for more direct evaluation on the part of researchers.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark,
    Always a pleasure to be in class with you! I like the current sketch of your project--it seems like a timely topic that will have a wealth of information. I enjoyed the article on Cuban blogging we read last semester, and I'm interested to see the texts you put into conversation with it. Some food for thought: how do you think access will change now that President Obama has lifted the embargo and travel restrictions against Cuba? Do you think the influence of western ideologies on technology will have a serious impact on Cuba's digital culture? Those are just some thoughts I had. I'm excited to see where your research takes you!
    P.S. Sorry to remove my earlier comment. I saw a few typos and my pride wouldn't let me just leave it there.
    --Lacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment! I am absolutely interested in what might come about with the lifting of the embargo and travel restrictions.I am not sure what effect it will have on Cuba's digital culture, as most digital devices are produced outside of the United States, but it will be interesting to see how the culture develops as a result. Sadly, I likely won't be able to track this very well because of the timing of my project, but it will certainly play an important role in the work that I do. Thanks again!

      Delete
  5. Mark--this is a really good start. You are quite right to emphasize Owens' notion of the iterative quality of research and DH projects...this is indeed why we are starting in the first week getting a good start to what might be and not boxing yourself in by leaving room to explore is the key. Your focus on material culture --ie digital artifacts, technologies--is a great way to go, too often we leave out the "material stories" of technology and focus on the ephemeral nature of technology. Having done a lot of fieldwork myself, I like the grounded nature of your project and look forward to seeing you engage with ethnography more clearly in your methodology section.

    ReplyDelete