Friday, February 6, 2015

DTC Presentation (Post-Peer Review Thoughts)

So, generally speaking, my DTC Presentation was pretty well received by Lucy and Lacy during our peer review session. Both of them applauded my ability to transition between concepts and slides and they appreciated the ways in which I represented all of the ideas in my presentation visually. I had expressed to them that I was interested in adding a "Hacktivism" slide, but I was struggling to find something that worked for me in Pixton. They had recommended that the Hacktivism slide be more representative of my own conflicted identity and heritage in order to convey how difficult issues about Cuba are to discuss in any forum, considering how fractured the relationship is between many Cubans and their generally hyper-conservative Cuban-American counterparts. Lucy mentioned that the presentation seemed as if it was two separate conversations in the sense that I did not integrate my own project in the digital humanities until after I had discussed the definition and the stakes, so I will likely refer more directly to concrete examples within my particular project throughout my presentation. This will help flesh out what is at stake while giving my audience a sense of the discursive terrain I intend to work in, in the future. I will also place more of an emphasis on the question of the end-user in Cuba, discussing how the design of my particular project will not be a one-to-one translation from Spanish to English and vice versa, but wildly different design schemes that speak more directly to the literacies that emerge from different cultural and geopolitical contexts. Lastly, I will be much clearer in my mapping out the manner in which my conceptualizations of the digital humanities present unique theoretical and methodological implications for my particular project on digital practices unique to the Cuban context.

1 comment:

  1. I know we're not required to comment on this entry, but I wanted to tell you again how cool it was to see your concepts worked out in this visual/satire comic. It is a very creative approach that allows the audience to learn about the concepts in a truly multimodal fashion. I loved it!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete